Wednesday, March 3, 2010

An (Almost) Perfect Partnership

The Mister and I agree on almost everything when it comes to wedding planning.  In the beginning stages of planning, when lots of the big, expensive decisions were being made we were completely on the same wavelength.  We both knew exactly what venue we wanted, what caterer we wanted, what photographer we wanted, and in general have the same vision for our wedding day.  And, no, it’s not just because he blindly agrees with everything I say. He actually cares quite a bit, and has been really involved in this whole process. And therein lies the difficulty, hive. The one way in which we really, truly differ? Procrastination.

You see, procrastination and I, we don’t mix. We’re like oil and water. The thought of missing a deadline gives me anxiety, so I avoid it all together by getting things done well in advance. The Mister, on the other hand? Procrastination and the Mister are best buds. It’s the peanut butter to his chocolate. (I know, I know, it’s supposed to be peanut butter to his jelly, but the Mister loves him some Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, so chocolate is really more appropriate in this case.) So, while I’m rip-roaring and ready to go on, well, everything, the Mister is much more laissez-faire.


Believe it or not, our opposing positions on procrastination are actually a good thing, in the grand scheme of things. He’s teaching me to slow down and stop stressing about getting things done. And I’m teaching him to stop putting things off to the point where you end up making things harder on yourself. Case in point: this afternoon the Mister got home from work early and decided to start scoping out where we might want to register, and this weekend he was working on song selections, all without any poking or prodding from me.  And all without me trying to commandeer the situation to get it done faster. 

What makes it even better is that in this whole process, we’re learning that we really enjoy working on projects together! The invitations are a joint project and we're having fun with it so far (though it should be noted that we're in the early stages on the invitations.  I'm sure it won't be all rainbows and butterflies as we get further along).  All in all, I feel really blessed to have a fiancé who actually wants to be involved in planning our wedding. It is OUR wedding, after all, not just mine.

What about you? Is your fiancé involved in the planning your wedding? Do you love it or hate it?

No comments:

Post a Comment