Friday, March 12, 2010

Invitation Embellishments for the Craftiness Challenged

Last night around 9:30 p.m., I decided to open up Word and start fiddling with our invitation layout.  We've decided to go with the booklet style invitations, but haven't put anything down on paper yet.  According to the PaperSource tutorial I told y'all about previously, I should be able to print two invitation pages on one letter size piece of paper.  So the first step would be to create a template that sets the margins where we need them to be and puts two invite pages on one letter size piece of paper. 

Long story short, I suck and would be lost without the Mister when it comes to computers.  Around 9:50, the Mister heard me grumbling and asked what was the problem.  I told him what I was trying to do and he did it in approximately 30 seconds. It is nothing more than a table consisting of two cells fixed to the size we need for our invitations.  Why didn't I think of that?

By the time the Mister came to my rescue I decided to quit while I was ahead so I never actually got to the fun part.  But I did start thinking about affordable ways to embellish our invitations.

EMBOSSING
The Mister and I are both big fans of desk embossers.  You can customize the plates to have your monogram, return address, or whatever your heart desires!  Plus, in the grand scheme of things they are fairly affordable.  You'll spend around $50-60 for the desk embosser and one custom plate.  Plus, we'd totally reuse this after the wedding.  What a great way to jazz up Christmas cards!  The only downfall is that the largest desk embosser I've seen can accommodate up to a 2" plate, so this isn't really an option if we want to do something larger.

Heat embossing is another option.  I've never done heat embossing before, and it scares me a little bit.  And I have to admit, I had never heard of heat embossing before I started researching DIY invitations.  Since I've never heat embossed before, far be it from me to tell y'all how it's done.  I defer to Ms. Fondue's tutorial on heat embossing.  There are plenty other tutes out there though, so get your Google on!

STAMPS

Step one of heat embossing is to stamp the paper with the design you want to emboss.  But if heat embossing is too much work, why not just leave it at that and go have yourself a glass of wine?  You can buy cute rubber stamps at any craft store and use the ink to impart some more color to your invitation suite. Or you can even order custom rubber stamps online!  Here's an adorable one from an Etsy seller.
(Etsy seller lovetocreatestamps' creation)

I've also heard that you can buy special stamp pads where the ink is translucent so you can use the stamp as a watermark and print right over it. 
WAX SEALS

The picture of that stamp reminds me of another embellishment . . . wax seals!  I think these are great for sealing the inner envelope on your invitation suite, but I don't think we're going to do inner envelopes, so let's move on.

CRAFT PUNCHES AND PAPER CUTTERS

Cricut is obviously the mother of all paper cutters, but since a Cricut is not exactly affordable I won't tease you all with all the amazing things it can do.  But don't worry!  There are other options!  There are handheld craft punches that punch out different preset shapes and sizes.  Here's a heart shaped one I found at Save-on-Crafts for $8.30.  You can also get other basic shapes like circles, rectangles, and tags.  If you want a custom shape, this obviously isn't the route for you, but if you're like us and just want a cheap way to liven things up a bit, the price can't be beat.  


That's all this not-too-crafty bride can think of for now.  I'm pretty satisfied with these options.  They're simple and accessible, and I think any one of these embellishments will give our invitations that little something special to make them stand out.  What do you think?  Any other suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment