Monday, March 22, 2010

Our 1st Hidden Cost

Our venue has a built in speaker system.  Our venue contract says that all DJs must use the built in speakers and that if we hire a DJ that's not on their approved DJ list an extra fee of $50 will be charged and an extra security deposit will be required.  The contract says nothing else about using the speaker system.  Our contract came with a list of extra things that we could rent from them for an additional fee, like space heaters, tablecloths, etc.  The sound equipment was not on that list. 

From this, wouldn't you assume that the use of the speaker system is included in the venue rental price?  Well technically it is.  But what isn't included is the equipment to connect to the speaker system so you can actually play music.  If you hire a DJ, they bring their own equipment to connect to the speaker system.  We, however, will be self DJing.  So we have to pay an additional $375 to rent their equipment to connect to the speaker system.  Le boo.

This would be easier to swallow if they gave us self DJers the option to bring our own equipment to connect to the system, but I don't think they do.  (Side Note:  I say "I don't think" because this is what I think the wedding coordinator said, but one of our cell phones was cutting out intermittently and I was in the car with background noise when this conversation went down, so I'm not 100% sure.  Dammit.  I don't want to have to call her again.  Maybe I'll make the Mister do it.)  If a pro DJ can bring their own equipment, why can't I?  I don't get it. 

I kinda want to argue this with our venue but don't want to do anything that could end up damaging our otherwise good relationship with them, which could come back to bite us in the butt later.  Have you run into hidden costs in your wedding planning?  How did you handle it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment