Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reality Check

In case you missed it, I'm reposting this DIY Reality Check Flowchart featured on 100 Layer Cake last week in a post by guest blogger Rachel from Heart of Light

This flowchart is a lifesaver, especially if you're like me and have never been particularly crafty but have been bitten by the DIY wedding bug.  DIY fabric hair flower?  Totally makes it through the flowchart.  (Good thing, because I already did it!)  DIY flowers?  Ermmm...notsomuch.  Question 1 on the flow chart:  Do I have skills in this area?  Hells no!  I have a total black thumb.  I mean, I guess I could put together a bouquet if I didn't care at all what my flowers look like.  Question 2:  Do I really want / have time to learn?  No and no.  There.  Problem solved.  I will be hiring a florist.

The flowchart is a total sanity saver and helps me keep my burning desire to save money in check with reality.  The only reason why I would DIY my flowers is to save money.  What did the flowchart help me realize?  Besides the fact that pretty much the last thing I'd want to do the day before my wedding is drive into downtown L.A. (on a weekday during rush hour no less) to go to the Flower District, I don't know how much money I'd actually save by doing my flowers on my own since we aren't having a ton of flowers in the first place.   Oh, and let's not forget the fact that after picking up the flowers we'd have to actually make time to arrange them without it looking like I assigned this task to a couple of kindergarteners.  Will hiring a florist put me over budget?  Probably.  Silly old me thought I could DIY practically everything back in the day when the budget was made.  But this is definitely one of those projects that's worth going over budget for because it will save my sanity.  I can scrimp elsewhere, if need be.

Plus, now I can have a bouquet that looks like this*

(Photo from The Knot)
Instead of like this


*This is just one of the many bouquets I love.  A post on bouquets is soon to come.  Patience, my dears.  Patience.

1 comment:

BeerBudgetBride said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Good call on hiring someone I hear flowers can be really tricky, though I'm sure you'd end up much better of than me. We might be in the same 30DayShred boat, but DIY notsomuch. I STINK at DIY. I tried to make a fascinator. Wasted $, time, and frustration. Thank you etsy for my hair flower. Hah!

Looking forward to keeping up with your plans! :)

Post a Comment