Tuesday, March 9, 2010

You betta check yo self before you wreck yo self

Every so often a masochistic urge takes over me and I log onto The Knot to see how many things are on this month’s to-do list.  This morning I caved to the destructive urge and logged on.  It started out okay. 207 days left until your wedding, the site proclaimed.  Phew, that’s still a long ways away, right?  Then, I see the dreaded words: “311 items to do, 51 items overdue.”



Not good people, not good.  And this is after I already went through the checklist and removed all the items that did not apply to our wedding.  Yikes!  Now, I know The Knot’s checklist is repetative (for example, on this month’s to-do list, “start a wedding registry” and “fill out your wedding registry” are two separate entries) but still...I’d have to complete 1.5 items per day to get everything done.  Let’s be real; that’s not going to happen. 

What’s funny about all of this is that I actually feel like I have things under control and that we’re moving at a good pace with our wedding planning until I look at that g-d checklist!  This could be interpreted one of two ways: either I am in denial about the progress of my wedding planning, or The Knot is actually a tool of the man to make bride’s lives more difficult.  I’m going with the latter.  

Maybe I need to develop my own checklist to help me stop looking at the one on The Knot.  Yes, believe it or not, I have not made a comprehensive wedding checklist.  I make to-do lists for everything, but the thought of putting together a comprehensive checklist for an event this big overwhelms me a little.  Instead, I've just been making little to-do lists for the week or the month.  My problem with to-do lists is that once I have one in hand, I want to get everything on it done now.  And that's just not possible with a wedding checklist.  So while I may save myself the occasional torture of seeing how behind I am on The Knot's checklist, I might end up causing myself more stress if I make my own.

Did you make a comprehensive checklist for your wedding, or did you just rely on The Knot or another website?  Any suggestions on how to tackle this situation?

1 comment:

Amy said...

I HATE the Knot Checklist...I am super organized and it drives me totally insane, haha! I wrote a post on my blog about how I am staying organized (just click on Organization under my blog categories and those posts will pop up)...basically, I just took a bunch of the checklists I found (via books, magazines and the web) and merged them into my own checklist.

If that feels like too much work, I highly recommend the checklist from Russell & Hazel's website. It seems to be the most comprehensive yet succinct! You can find all their wedding templates here: http://www.russellandhazel.com/content/wedding-templates

They're very helpful! :)

Post a Comment