Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Paralyzed By Options

I've got this feeling right now like I want to get crackin' on a wedding project.  Something arts and craftsy, for sure...but that's as far as I can get.  I've seen so many DIY projects and been inspired by so many images, but as I sit here I realize I have not made very many decisions on the details.  The big things were easy, but the little things . . . not so much.

My inner monologue goes something like this: 

I need want some decor for our aisle.  The arbor that covers the aisle has hooks on the outside we can hang stuff from.  Tissue paper pomadors are all the rage, maybe I'll make some of those.  But I hear they're hard to do.  What about silk floral pomadors?  Yes, that should be easier.  But it might end up being pricier than real flowers.  Hmmm...what about a garland instead.  We could drape it from hook to hook on each side of the aisle.  Better yet, we can drape fabric over the top of the arbor to give it a tented feeling.  Or maybe something else?  Maybe I should look online for something better.  Yes.  That's what I should do.
Then, after hours of browsing and searching, I'm nowhere closer to making a decision.  And it's not that I don't want to do these crafty projects.  I really do (for now anyway...check back with me in a couple of months).  I just don't know what to do.  If this were just any old party, I'd probably just pick a project and if I don't like the end result just toss it and do without.  But for some reason because it's my wedding I'm having a hard time letting myself be so laissez-faire. 

What about you?  Have you been crushed by the paralysis of having too many options?

2 comments:

miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

Girl, I feel your pain. I was so, as you say, paralyzed by options that I just decided not to make any. Or at least, not for a while. I let the inspiration photos and ideas stew in my head for a few weeks or sometimes months before deciding on what I want.
Maybe you could start by picking a project (like aisle decor) and trying out a few options. Tissue paper pom poms aren't that difficult, trust me. And if you could find some cheap fake flowers at a dollar store to try out the pomander idea. If you try each and live with the results for a while, you might find it easier to narrow down the choices. Trust me on this one, I was having the toughest time choosing between 3 types of fabrics for our centerpiece. We ended up taping all 3 to a wall in our apartment and lived with them like that for a week before making a choice.

BeerBudgetBride said...

I'm not good with too many options. Ask me to pick 1 thing out of 10, I'm golden - tell me I can have whatever I want... crickets.

I'm having a hard time deciding aisle decorations too. I want to do *something* - I'm thinking of buying some awesome used Poms that some bride (much better suited than me) made for her own day. I really stink at DIY.

Post a Comment