Monday, April 19, 2010

Shopping Spree!

(Ok, I now that's a shopping spree.  Maybe mine was more of a mini-spree.  Source.)

Someone needs to take my credit card away from me, because I'm a woman on a mission.  A wedding shopping mission.  You all know about the the MOH dress saga, and according to UPS it's scheduled to arrive on my doorstep tomorrow!  My sister should be at my house at some point this week so I won't have to wait too long to see if it fits. 

I've been looking and looking for a good low-back bra to wear with my dress, and posted on the Weddingbee boards to see if any other brides who have worn my dress had any suggestions for me.  Someone responded that the 100 Ways Bra from Victoria's Secret works with my dress, so I ordered that baby online too!  I hope it fits.  I have so-so luck with VS.  Sometimes they fit just right, sometimes my cups runneth over, if you know what I mean.  They don't make a larger cup size in the band width I need, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that this one works out.  Plus, I need new bras in general so if I like this one I might just write it off as a non-wedding expense (something that our budget could use right about now).

The online shopping was just my warm-up.  On Saturday, the real heavy duty shopping began.  The Mister was gone all day and the electricity went out at our house around 8 a.m.  I couldn't vacuum.  I didn't want to grocery shop if the fridge wasn't working.  It was like the universe was ordering me to get out of the house and do some real shopping.  So I hit up Bed, Bath & Beyond with a ubiquitous 20% off coupon and bought a 3 gallon beverage dispenser for the wedding.  We're providing the drinks at our wedding to keep costs down (our caterer would charge us $2.50 per person just for lemonade...can you say ripoff?)  and we plan on buying one or two more of these dispensers so people can serve themselves some iced tea and lemonade and maybe a pre-mixed alcoholic beverage.

Next stop was Michael's.  They were having a super mega blowout sale of epic proportions last week.  I bought 5 glass vases on sale for $2 each to use for various flower arrangements, a 50% off bypass trimmer for when we start printing and assembling our invites (so we don't have to trek into my office to use the one we've got there), and a couple of completely awesome non-wedding related purchases - gallery quality picture frames for the photo wall we want to put up along our stairs.  The frames were 50% off, plus I had a coupon for an additional 25% off!!!  What a deal!

After a quick refeuling at Rubio's, I made my was to Sephora.  I spent an eternity browsing through all the makeupy goodness.  As I've mentioned before, I plan on doing my own wedding makeup and have been asking for Sephora giftcards to help fund my purchases.  Armed with $100 in giftcards, I was ready to make some serious purchases.  After much much deliberation, I bought some Benefit eye makeup primer and Nars Orgasm Illuminator and, the biggest purchase of them all, a Clarisonic Mia!  So far I am LOVING the Mia.  I struggle with breakouts from time to time and have really sensitive skin.  My breakouts are almost always related to either hormones or a change in my environment (traveling almost always causes breakouts) and the products that I use.  The Mia came with the sensitive skin brush and I can use my regular sensitive skin soap.  It's only been a couple of days, so we'll see how things really pan out.  As for the other products, I'm using the primer for the first time today and so far there's no creasing of my eye shadow and my eyeliner is still in place.  So far so good for that product.  As for the Illuminator, the jury's still out.  I think I need to play around with it some more.

On a side note, I've also been on a mission to find a perfume to wear.  While at Sephora I did some sampling of scents and I think I have it narrowed down to four contenders:  Chanel Chance, Marc Jacobs Daisy, La Vanille Vanilla Grapefruit, and Viktor & Rolf Flower Bomb.  Flower Bomb was a late addition to the group.  They were passing out samples of the scent and I was really surprised how much I liked it.  I'm waiting to pull the trigger on this purchase though.  The problem is that the little paper sticks that they give you to sample the perfume need to be clearly marked with what scent has been sprayed on it!  I had a handful of these and after a while I couldn't remember which one was which.  It's alright though.  At this point I had spent enough money and decided to quit while I was ahead. 

As if all these acquisitions weren't enough, there's one more I need to let you in on, and it's a biggie.  But what's best is that it cost us ZERO DOLLARS.  This Mister's parents have a treadmill that they never use so the Mister decided to see if they were interested in letting us take it off their hands.  They said yes, and now we have a treadmill in our living room!  I'm beyond excited.  I just started running again and I've always been an outside runner, but we are just a month or so away from being in sweltering heat here in Southern California and that heat will last through to our October wedding.  The treadmill will make it so much easier to get motivated to work out, and the icing on the cake is that I won't have to worry about slathering myself in sunblock to avoid the dreaded tanlines every time I exercise.  Keeping it in the living room is not optimal, but I'm willing to let it slide if it means that the Mister and I will be more diligent about exercising. 

Have you made any great wedding-related purchases lately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment