Wednesday, April 14, 2010

So Simple, Yet So Expensive

I've been putting off thinking about our wedding flowers with any degree of detail.  Why?  Because I'm afraid that if I start putting too much thought into what flowers I want our flower budget will go out of control.  I haven't budgeted much for flowers.  In fact, I just lumped them in with decorations generally and I have about $300 left in that budget category.   If I end up getting my heart set on flowers that are out of our price range I'll either a) splurge and be mad at myself for spending too much, or b) settle for second best and not be very happy with what I've got.    


After coming to the realization that I should not DIY my flowers, I contacted a florist based in the mountain community where we will be getting married to get an idea on prices.  To get two basic rose bouquets, four boutonnières and maybe one or two small rose arrangements will pretty much eat up the rest of our decorations budget.  So I know I can forget about upgrading my flowers and staying within budget.   She asked me to email her some pictures to give her a better idea of what I'm looking for.  I bit the bullet and started looking at photos of bouquets, and sure enough plain rose bouquets are not what I'm drawn to.  Here's what I sent her way.




(all images from The Knot)

After doing this legwork for the florist, I realized that my dream flowers are probably out of my budget.  I was feeling a little deflated, and then I found out that the Mister's sister spent only $340 on her flowers by ordering them direct from a wholesaler in the Flower District, and that got her enough flowers (tulips, to be precise) for two bouquets, 10 or so boutonnières, centerpieces for 20 something tables and rose petals for the flower girls.  And she had flowers left over.  Sure the flowers had to be assembled the morning of the wedding, but to be honest it wasn't hard at all.  So I can only imagine how much easier (and cheaper) it would be for my wedding since we wouldn't even need half of the flowers she had at her wedding.  The only negative was that she got up at 3:40 a.m. two days before her wedding to drive downtown and pick up the flowers.  


So I'm left in a conundrum.  I could DIY my flowers and afford the pricer blooms that I'll inevitably want or I can hire a florist and save myself the stress of having to DIY my flowers.  


We have a meeting set up with the florist on May 14th, when we'll be going up to the mountains to get our engagement pictures done.  No decision will be made until after that meeting and we get a firm quote on what the flowers we want will cost.  My fingers are crossed that she comes back with an amazingly low quote and I love everything in her proposal.  (A girl can dream, can't she?)  Until then, any advice for me?  What would you do if you were in my shoes?

4 comments:

Mareeyah said...

That is the challenge of fresh flowers. I'm using good quality artificial flowers (ones which look almost real), so I can arrange them myself and reuse them as decorations in our new home after the wedding.

How about asking the help of some people to assemble the flowers? Maybe you can ask your Mister's sister to help you assemble them, since she's had success in doing it before. Then, at the reception, instead of tossing your bouquet to a bunch of single ladies, you can honor her by presenting her your bouquet, as a way of thanking her efforts.

Or you can also talk to the florist and tell her your budget, so she can find ways to make it happen. You can also offer to feature her business here in your blog, in exchange for some discount. (It's worth a try, I've seen other brides who did that with other vendors.)

miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

That is quite the conundrum. Honestly, I'd say go with the DIY option. It may be more stressful than the florist option, but if it'll get you the flowers you really want, it might be a better alternative. It sounds as though you know you're going to want those flowers and it seems as though you already have some great options for help within your family. Or if that doesn't work, the internet is full of DIY flower tips. If you could find a florist that can do the flowers you love within your budget, obviously, save yourself the stress. But personally, I would rather stress myself out a bit (or a lot, haha) and have a bouquet that I'm totally in love with.

BeerBudgetBride said...

Some of that white fluffiness might actually BE roses - there's tons of different types of roses. I found some great roses that look like peonies, check out my blog, there's a couple different posts about it.

That 3rd pic looks like regular roses and stephanotis which is pretty cheap too.

I thought about fake flowers but they can be more $$ than the real thing.

BeerBudgetBride said...

Whoops! Didn't really answer your Q. I guess the DIY thing comes down to how good you are at it. I SUCK at putting stuff together. You could get me perfect flowers from the Bot.Garden and I'd still muck it up. DEF give it a try! Just be careful cuz sometimes although you have the raw materials you want, the final product doesn't always turn out the way you want it to. If you love your own results? Awesome. If not, at least you have back up. You're smart. GOOD LUCK! ;)

Post a Comment