Thursday, May 6, 2010

Coed Showers

No, not that kind of shower.  Get your mind out of the gutter!

My sister/MOH asked me recently if I wanted a Jack and Jill shower or if I wanted to stick with a ladies-only bash.  It hadn't even crossed my mind to have a Jack and Jill shower, but once she mentioned the idea, it was like a lightening bolt hit me.  Of course!  A Jack and Jill shower will cure all of my apprehensions about having a bridal shower.

Yes, I have apprehensions about having a bridal shower.  Mostly because I have had almost no fun at every single baby and bridal shower I have attended.  No offense to any traditionalists out there, but the idea of getting a bunch of women together so you can play asinine games (I'm looking at you inventor of the toilet paper bridal gown game) and coo over spatulas makes me throw up a little in my mouth.  And don't even get me started on the lingerie gifts.  The thought of opening up a gift bag full of thongs in front of a room full of women makes me die a little on the inside.  Okay, okay, I'm exaggerating.  And I don't mean to sound ungrateful.  While I may be very excited to receive the cookware we registered for, I don't expect everyone else to share my sentiments.  And as for the lingerie...well, I'm not exaggerating on that one. 

(My sentiments exactly.  Source)

If my sister were to attempt to throw me a ladies-only shower, I would give her specific instructions to eliminate all games.  Period.  End of Story.  And while she's at it, she could just forget about giving the shower a theme (why is it that every shower I have been to has had a theme?  Isn't the theme - congrats, you're getting married!?).  While just mixing and mingling and enjoying the company of the guests is fine with me, I know that many of the (cough *older* cough) ladies who will be invited to my shower would come with certain expectations and might actually vocalize those expectations.  Now, these ladies know me and know I can handle whatever they say, but they don't know my sister.  I do know my sister, and know that she would NOT be able to handle it.  Not from strangers, anyway.  And I don't want to put that on her.  The last thing she needs is to feel like she didn't do a good enough job. 

But a Jack and Jill shower eliminates all of those expectations!  So I can have my game-free, laid-back shower without running the risk of my sister having a nervious breakdown.  It's a win-win, folks. 

What kind of shower are you having?

3 comments:

Cupcake Wedding said...

Love this. Good to know I am not the only one not feeling great about the shower. My sister refuses to tell me any details. She is so old fashioned. If I had no known she wanted it to be a surprise, I never would have agreed to one. I cant stand the idea of sitting around opening gifts and playing games about my sex life with my prime cousins. So I am just going to drink a little until I can act like the happiest, most appreciative person in the world.

BeerBudgetBride said...

ZOMG! I'm sooooo jealous! That's exactly what I wanted but my mother wasn't hearing it. I agree with ZERO games. They're no fun, and it adds to the cost of throwing it because you have to get stupid prizes that no one wants anyway.

Invite the guys, make it a backyard BBQ, the theme can be "we're not having a theme, come & party". Don't stop the party to open gifts, just do it while people mingle. Do it for the rest of us who will be forced to have the traditional "surprise" shower. Do it so we can live vicariously! Can't wait to see pics. ;)

KMalandro2B said...

I too HATE playing games! My sister feels the same way so I will not play any games at my shower. I don't mind having an all-ladies shower but I do NOT want to play games. My FI would give me a weird look if I suggested a Jack & Jill. I'm hoping to continue to party after the guests leave and just turn it in a BBQ!

Post a Comment