Thursday, June 17, 2010

A Decision Has Been Made!

After waffling, and waffling, and waffling some more over whether I wanted to DIY my flowers or hire a florist, I finally made a decision - we're hiring a florist.  I got a quote from a very lovely (and very reasonably priced) florist and decided that before I agreed to go with her I wanted to check out how much it would cost to get the flowers from a wholesaler in the Flower Mart instead.  Long story short, I got an email this morning from the wholesaler saying that he couldn't give me any price quote until about 2 weeks before the wedding since prices fluctuate so much, and that I'd need to give him a list of exactly what flowers I want and how many I want.  But that's the part I need help with!!!  Grrr. 

After getting this not very helpful response from the wholesaler, I was ready to throw in the towel on this zany idea of DIYing my flowers.  I texted the Mister to make sure we were on the same page, and then promptly emailed the florist saying that we wanted to book her services.  There, it's done.  A decision has been made and I cannot waffle anymore!

In all seriousness, though, I consider paying a little more money for a florist to be an investment in my sanity.  I sat back and thought about how my time has a value to it and that once I consider all the time I would need to put in to researching what flowers I need to order and how many, what supplies I need and how to care for the flowers so they don't wilt before the wedding, not to mention the time driving to L.A. to get the flowers two days before the wedding, it just wasn't worth it.  Plus, since we're not having many flowers to begin with it's not like the florist will break the bank (though we will go over budget slightly).  I'm willing to sacrifice some money if it means I can get rid of my flower-related stress because it's ridiculous.  I mean, c'mon, flowers are NOT supposed to be stressful, they're supposed to relieve stress!

Now I can go back to being a normal person who can enjoy flowers.  I already emailed the florist my flower inspiration board and that's all she needs.  I don't have to think about flowers one more time.  I'll have a bouquet full of flowers I think are pretty, but have no idea what they're called, and that's fine with me.

7 comments:

kristininjapan said...

Sounds great! My mom is our florist and we get into squabbles all the time about arrangements. Finally I've given up, she can just do whatever she wants as long as I get the final okay. It does feel good to let go of something :D

miss fancy pants (the bride) said...

Hiring a florist sounds like the perfect plan for you given all the stress it would take to make your own. I opted to take the DIY route in spite of criticism but only because I only need to make 4 bouquets & 3 boutonnieres and will have tons of help to do so. Had our centerpieces been cut flowers, I definitely would have gone the florist route because I'm guessing I wouldn't have the patience to put together 10+ arrangements the day before the wedding, haha.

jacin said...

wow i just found your blog! we have so much in common, except it's the opposite - i'm a new england girl living in san francisco and planning my wedding in connecticut! just started following your blog, check mine out if you're interested. happy planning and GOOD CALL on hiring a florist!! :)

marikoy said...

Well congratulations on having solved the floral issue. Yeah, it's good to spend a little bit to keep your sanity, as long as it's reasonably priced and really serves its purpose. :-)

JEM - Aqua Bride said...

I agree that spending the money sometimes saves your sanity. I'm going the flowerless route and decided to DIY. I've made 1 centerpiece and i'm about to strangle the damn thing. Only 11 more to go.

Thanks for visiting and following my blog, i'm now your newest follower.

D. Marie said...

I agree 110% about getting a florist! And thats what we did and it turned out to be one of the most amazing parts of our wedding! I was thinking of doing floating candles with glass beads or floating flowers...and there is nothing wrong with that. But I just didnt have the time, plus I like to leave so many things to the last minute! Our florist did an amazing job and everyone loved the lemon slices centerpiece with the blue hydrangeas on top...it was so lovely and worth it! :) Glad you made a decision that will help have less stress!

SeptCa said...

I came to the exact same conclusion this weekend! My mom met with a florist she knew (I am planning a California wedding from DC), and then asked me how much I had budgeted to spend on the flowers for my huge DIY floristry project. I said, "I really don't want to spend more than $1,000." She said, "Well, the quote I got from the florist for everything was $700, $800 if you want those fancy peony-like garden roses that make you swoon." Done and done.

Congratulations! I will think of you whil I get a massage and drink a glass of wine with my best friend while I would have been doing my flowers...

Post a Comment