Monday, July 26, 2010

Guestbook ingenuity

While eating lunch at our favorite local Mexican joint Sunday afternoon, the Mister and I were discussing our guestbook troubles.  A while back we had settled on doing a Quaker marriage certificate instead of a traditional guestbook.  We loved the idea of having our vows to each other written out and then having our guests signing the certificate and promising to support our union.  But when push came to shove we were having trouble agreeing on the design and just weren't loving anything that we came up with.  The plan was to print the certificate poster sized through Zazzle and hang it in our house, but if we don't love the design we won't hang it up, and it will just collect dust and waste precious space.  So.  We were both kinda over the Quaker marriage certificate idea.

The conversation moved on to our ceremony script.  I just started drafting it this past week (more on that in another post) and we were discussing what we wanted to put it in for the ceremony so the officiant isn't just reading off of loose leaf paper.  We were discussing moleskines and leather journals, when all of a sudden the Mister got really excited and said he knew what to do about our guestbook.  Whatever we print out our ceremony script in will double as a guestbook, so once the ceremony is over we can sign it and then our guests can sign it.  It encompasses everything we love about the Quaker marriage certificate without having to worry about aesthetics.

But this is where it gets good.  I told the Mister I loved it and was 100% on board and he gave this huge sigh of relief.  He was relieved not because he was afraid I wouldn't like the idea, but because he was afraid that I was going to say that I'd seen something like it before on the blogs and that it was a big trend right now.  Kinda like I did with his family photos as decorations idea.  When I confirmed that I had not seen anything like it before on the blogs and that it's not the hot trend right now, he yelled "Blog it!  Blog it like you've never blogged before!"

So here it is.  Just for you, honey.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

Oooo! I love that idea! I've never heard of the Quaker marriage certificate either. Both sound so sweet. Will you post pictures of your book when you find it? :D

Ghenet said...

Aww, cute idea!

Sara said...

what a wonderful idea! we are having a Quaker Ceremony with a self uniting licence and an actual legal Quaker certificate (our moms will serve as our witnesses and sign our licence we send back to the state) but I don't know if we're going to go the Quaker Guest book route...I love this idea...do you think Minster would mind if we copied? lol

nicoliolihpf said...

Hahaha, that's really cute. I'm with him though, there are so many things that I thought about doing early on that I have since realized are huge trends, and it's kind of off-putting for me. But hey, what can you do?

Post a Comment