Saturday, July 31, 2010

It's that time of year again


It's wildfire season here in California.  You may have heard about a few that are raging right now in the high desert north of Los Angeles.  We're getting married smack dab in the middle of wildfire season in an area that's most prone to uncontrollable wildfires - the mountains.  I never even thought about this when we were booking our venue.  We're having an unusually mild summer this year, which normally translates into less wildfires.  I've been keeping my fingers crossed that we'd stay wildfire free this year, but that wish has obviously not been granted.  So now, on top of all the other things I have to think about over the next two months, I'll have wildfires in the back of my mind too.  I know that statistically the chances of my venue burning down or a fire impeding our ability to get up to the mountains are slim, but that's not the only concern.  The smoke and ash from wildfires in nearby areas could put a serious hamper on our outdoor ceremony and reception.

My fear is completely based in reality.  The particular area of the mountains where we are getting married was hit with a massive wildfire back in 2003.  This fire actually came down the mountains and was stopped just a few blocks from my FILs house.

Sigh.

Do you have any fears about disasters impacting your wedding?

6 comments:

Kristin said...

:( That's terrible. I hope that your venue is OK throughout the season! I'll keep my fingers crossed!

nicoliolihpf said...

Yeesh, that is no fun. Well, at least in October it will probably be a little better, right? I mean, I know it probably won't have rained by then or anything, but at least it will be a little cooler?

jacin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jacin said...

i think we just may read each other's minds!

and i am TERRIFIED that a hurricane will come in and ruin the day. but i've convinced myself to not even think about it because otherwise i will be freaking out constantly!!

fingers crossed :)

Sara said...

i will be crossing my fingers you stay disaster free!

i think we will be ok with an October wedding in Philly... I just hope a hurricane doesn't crash our Caribbean honeymoon...

loveable_homebody said...

I feel for you. I see these wildfires on the news and wonder how terrifying it must be for the people who live there, wondering if they will lose their homes. Thanks for so honestly sharing what this has been like for you. I hope everything will be okay.

Post a Comment