Thursday, August 12, 2010

Bring on the pretty!

Remember how I said in my last post that the reason why we went up to the mountains last weekend was to meet with our florist?  Yeah, so I figured you might want to know what flowers we decided on!

Unlike many brides, I do not have strong opinions about our wedding flowers.  I think that all flowers are pretty and you really can't go wrong.  So when we showed up to our meeting with the florist and she asked me what kind of flowers I was thinking of for our wedding, I didn't really know what to say.  Luckily, I had printed my flower inspiration board and she was able to identify some of the flowers in the pictures and lead me in the right direction.  She had these handy little booklets that we could flip through and just tell her when we saw something that piqued our interest.

In the end, we decided that the main flowers we'll be using are white/ivory dahlias and roses


Though she may throw in some pale peach or lavender dahlias if she thinks they look good.  Green hypericum berries will give a pop of color, along with lemon leaves at the base of the bouquet and some small aster flowers.


I'm going to be honest.  I left the meeting feeling a little uneasy about my flower selections.  But after sitting with it for a little bit I'm good now.  I think that the uneasiness stemmed from the fact that I don't have a specific vision for our flowers, so I felt like I was just picking random flowers I thought were pretty from the booklets without any regard as to how they would look together.  But then I realized 1) our florist is a professional and knows how to make pretty flower arrangements; and 2) flowers are pretty, and one pretty flower put with some other pretty flowers, equals a pretty flower arrangement.  In other words, it's not rocket science and I needed to chillax.  So I did.  And now I'm just happy that I'll have pretty flowers on my wedding day and that I don't have to arrange them myself.  

So now the only floral-ish item left on my to do list is to find succulents for our centerpieces.  I'm cool with doing the succulents myself.  I can buy them way in advance, ignore them for weeks and they'll still be alive and kicking.  Now, that's my kind of plant.


5 comments:

jacin said...

LOVE love love... perfect choices! i got some gorgeous dahlias this weekend at the farmers market and they were so delicate and pretty. i'm having them in mine too - so pretty!! :)

Ghenet said...

Great choices! I'm having dahlias in my bouquet as well, in the cranberry color. They're gorgeous. We're also doing the berries but in a red color. It sounds like your flowers are in the right hands.

julie said...

yay, dahlias! all our flowers were dahlias.

also, good job not caring so much about flowers. they're flowers... their sole purpose in life is to be pretty (ok, that statement might not be completely true - bite me!). what's all the hand-wringing many brides do about freaking flowers?!

Dancy said...

So pretty. I love hypernicum berries. I asked our florist to work them into the BM bouquets somehow.

Don't second guess yourself at all - I think you made great choices.

Kristin said...

Oooo! We are going to use roses and dahlias too. I like your inspiration pictures, those dahlias are fluffy rather than pointy if you get my meaning. Succulents are very cool too.

I used to not care about flowers but then I read too many wedding blogs and now I obsess over them!

Post a Comment