Thursday, August 26, 2010

It's crunch time!

We've accomplished so many wedding to-dos over the past week that I've barely had time to blog about them!   I thought about writing separate posts for each of these items, but that's a lot of work.  So here's a run-down of all the major things we've accomplished over the past week.

We bought the Mister's ring on Saturday.  Our jeweler called us late last week to say that they had gotten some samples in from the manufacturer of the rings the Mister was considering so we swung by to check them out.  They had samples of two out of the three rings we were debating over.  Unfortunately, the one I liked the most was the one that was missing.  But as it turns out, the ring I hated before actually is really nice in person!  I liked it way more than the other ring we were considering that they had a sample of.  So we bought the ring I originally hated!  Honestly, I really do like it now.  In case you forgot, here's what it looks like.



After we left the jewelers, we realized that just a couple of doors down is a really well known (and really delicious) bakery that would be the perfect place to order the cakes for our dessert buffet.  I originally thought I would bake all of the desserts myself, but quickly realized that baking four different flavored cakes and frostings from scratch was way more work than I wanted to undertake the day before our wedding.  I tried asking friends and family to help and the response was "ummmm, how 'bout I buy you a cake instead!"  So we scrapped the friendors route and decided we will be buying the cakes and baking the cookies and brownies and other desserts for the buffet, because cookies and brownies are way easy.  So we set up a cake tasting for this coming Sunday.  I am really looking forward to it!

While we were out and about on Saturday, we browsed around some nurseries and garden centers for succulents for our centerpieces.  Long story short - large succulents are mad expensive.  Realizing we didn't want to drop that kind of coin for plants that would most likely get thrown away after the reception, I considered my options and decided to make tissue paper flowers instead.  No, they're not as nice as real flowers, but they're cheap and can be made ahead and don't wilt.  My adventures with tissue paper flowers deserves a post of its own, because the initial results were comical, to say the least.

We also bought two sets of patio furniture for the lounge area we want to set up near the dance floor at our venue.  We went with this set from Wal-Mart (I know, I know...but it was affordable and goes with our colors and had free shipping).
(The Delahey 4 piece conversation set.  Picture from walmart.com)

Yesterday, we checked a biggie off of our to-do list:  we got our marriage license!  A good blogger would have pictures of this event, but seriously, standing in a crowded waiting room at the County Recorder's office doesn't exactly make me think "oh, I need a picture!"

I also scheduled a makeup trial for Friday afternoon.  I'm doing my own makeup, so I'm just going to bring my inspiration photos into Sephora so they can help me figure out what products I need and show me how to execute the look.  I took the day off from work on Friday because...

IT'S MY 30TH BIRTHDAY!!!

I'm getting my makeup did just in time for the party the Mister is throwing for me Friday night.  Then Saturday morning we're heading up to Vegas to hang out with some friends of ours who live there.  So with that, I'll check back in with y'all on Monday, a year older and hopefully a little more relaxed.


7 comments:

Kristin said...

Awesome! Sounds like you've been getting tons of stuff done. I am planning on baking cupcakes and then buying brownies, cookies, pies, for our dessert pie. Sometimes you just CANNOT be bothered!

Have a very happy birthday and a fab Vegas weekend!

Ghenet said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have a wonderful time in Vegas!

jacin said...

happy birthday!!!!!!! looks like you got a lot off the list :)

nicoliolihpf said...

Happy Birthday!

Let me know how Sephora works out, I'm thinking of using them for my day-of make-up.

I've been told making your own cake is a pain in the ass, so I'm glad you're going for the cookies and such instead. That seems much more manageable.

Dancy said...

Yay for checkin' off to-do lists!! Have fun in Vegas and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Angie said...

getting it done, girl! nice work!

and happy birthday! have a sweet ass time!

Sara said...

wow!! what a great productive time you have been having!! congrats HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! :-) Have a wonderful time in LV :-)

Post a Comment