Thursday, August 19, 2010

What would you do . . .

for ceremony decorations?  Right now, we have none planned.  Our venue is outdoors and very pretty on it's own, so I have no problem with having minimal decorations.  But for some reason I'm having a hard time getting passed the idea of having *no* ceremony decorations at all.

Here's a picture of the aisle.  Pay no attention to the white fabric.  It won't be there when we get married because we didn't want to pay $475 for the tacky "decorations package" that consisted of fake flowers and some tulle.


(personal photo)

See how I'm pointing to something in the picture?  I have no idea what I was actually pointing at, but for the purposes of this post let's say I was pointing at the hooks on the outside of each post.

(personal photo)

So, if I were to do some ceremony decorations, the obvious thing to do would be to hang something from these hooks.  I could do the ubiquitous tissue paper pomadors, but the Mister isn't a huge fan and I am hit or miss with them.  When they're done really well, I think they look great.  But I'm not going to fool myself into thinking that I'm capable of turning out pomadors as awesome as Heather's.  Plus, the styrofoam balls at Michaels' ain't cheap, and I'd be pissed if I spend a ton of money (and time!) on something that I don't end up liking that much.

(image by Julie Wilson)

Then I saw this picture of the "altar" at our venue on our photographer's website and thought about maybe putting some large potted plants on the steps.  I'd have to buy them right before the wedding because I have a black thumb.  And I don't have freaking tree trunks to put them on, nor do I know where I would go to get tree trunks.

So I turn to you.  What would you do if you were in my place?  Right now I'm leaning toward doing nothing because I'm 6 weeks out, have enough to do already, and am so over all things wedding.  This is one of those situations where I have to assess the time/effort/money/stress involved in doing ceremony decorations and compare it to what kind of benefit I think I'll get from it all.  I want a pretty wedding, though, and fear that my laziness/over-it-ness may be clouding my judgment.  So it's your job to smack some sense into me if I need it, m'kay?

And just in case that last paragraph didn't hint enough at the answer I want to hear, here's some pictures of a lovely wedding at my venue that was blogged on Green Wedding Shoes where there were no ceremony decorations in sight!  

6 comments:

JEM - Aqua Bride said...

I think it's beautiful on its own.

jacin said...

i'm sure you'll be so surprised to hear this, but i'm using the canning jar centerpieces for the reception to hang on every other aisle with the flowers in them. they're very easy to hang and if you even go with clear canning jars, they're very affordable!

then there's the tissue paper "puffs" that add a splash of color here and there.

for the altar we're having 2 larger vases with flowers and we will just repurpose them for the reception.

i'm sure whatever you choose will be amazing.

Sara said...

I think it is beautiful on it's own... if you do decide to go with ceremony decorations, I agree with Jacin (and am planning the same for myself) make sure you can re use them during the reception- more bang for your buck.

6 weeks out.... that's AMAZING! yay!!

Dancy said...

We're not doing anything for church either - maybe tissue poofs on the 1st couple pews in church but that's it.

I like your ceremony area just the way it is. I don't think you need to add anything. But I know that feeling your talking about so, some ideas that just spring to mind:
- the hanging flowery plants you buy at a grocery store that already come with a hook on them?
- Corn stalks on the posts?
- I love your idea of just buying the large potted Mums.
- find tulle online (mad cheap) and hang it yourself.
- ceremony during dusk? Cheap christmas lights.
- CRAZY idea: buy inexpensive fabric (or cheap tablecloths??) and just drape it 1/4 of the way down on every other one like The Gates.
(www.mccullagh.org/db9/1ds2-4/the-gates-art-project.jpg)

ONLY if you have time. The closer I get, the more I eliminate from my ToDo list. For your Oct wedding the foliage will be changing and I think that's it's own decoration too so if you do nothing - it'll still be colorful.

Dancy said...

Uhh - sorry for the novel. ;(

Anonymous said...

I think it is gorgeous as it is, but one idea to spice it up a bit would be to hang long pieces of ribbon (2-4) from each hook. All the better if it was sort of thick, gauzy ribbon. (Michael's is having a huge ribbon sale right now, plus there is an additional coupon their website - or you could just buy long lengths of a gauzy fabric and cut it into strips.) If there was any breeze, the ribbons would float in and out of the posts, which I think would look really lovely and romantic.

Post a Comment