Tuesday, September 21, 2010

I Get By With A Little Help From My Friends

Throughout most of the wedding planning, our friends and family have been very vocal about how they are more than willing to help.  And now that the wedding is so close, I feel like people are asking me non-stop how they can help.  It's a beautiful thing.

But I'm having a hard time finding things for other people to do.  I go through my list and all I see is stuff that cannot be delegated, or stuff that is so simple that delegating the task isn't worth it.  This weekend, I learned my lesson.  On Saturday, my Mom called and asked what we were doing and if she and her boyfriend could come up and help us out.  I said yes, and they ended up assembling the two patio furniture sets we bought for our lounge area.  It only took the two of them an hour and a half to put everything together, but that's a hour and a half that the Mister and I can now use to do other things.

On Sunday, the Mister's Dad called and asked if there was any way he could help.  The Mister said he could come help stain the bar we built (have I told you about that???) if he wanted but it wouldn't take too long so he didn't have to come over.  Well, he did come over and he ended up working on the bar for several hours.

So when my sister called me on Monday and asked if there was anything she could do, I knew that I could find something for her but I just had to think about it.  So now my sister is in charge of finding nail polish and making our mani/pedi appointments for the day before the wedding.  Again, another little thing that I could do myself and it wouldn't take too much time, but all those little things that don't take too much time add up to a bunch of little things that take a lot of time.

Delegating this task to my sister makes me proud of myself because the type A control freak in the back of my mind says but what if you don't like the nail polish she picks?  What if there's one she doesn't buy that you would have liked more?  But I just laugh at that voice and remind myself IT'S JUST NAIL POLISH!!!  If I can keep that control freak in me in check it will go a long way in terms of preserving my sanity and letting me relax and be present on my wedding day, and I think I'm finally learning how to do it.  Yay me!

Have you had a hard time delegating your wedding tasks?  How have you learned to let go?

2 comments:

Emma9405 said...

I am a HUGE non-delegator (is that a word?), and I fear that it will get me in trouble as I get closer to the wedding. I'm trying to come up with things that I can let go, but a) I'm too freaking controlling and b) I'm having too much fun right now! But, yes, I do worry that if I don't learn to let go, I'm going to give myself a migraine or two in the weeks leading up to the wedding!

Kristin - Miss Glasses said...

Excellent philosophy on keeping your wedding sanity! I delegate all the live long day :D

Post a Comment