Thursday, September 2, 2010

Makeup Trial, or Getting Beautified for my 30th Birthday Party

This close to the wedding, I try to kill two birds with one stone whenever I can.  So last Friday (a.k.a. my 30th birthday) I figured since I would be getting all dolled up for the party the Mister was throwing me that evening I might as well have my makeup trial that afternoon.

I'm doing my own makeup on the big day, but decided to schedule a makeover at Sephora so I could have someone show me what I need to do to achieve the look I want and to figure out what products work for me.  I showed my makeup artist some inspiration photos (including this one and this one and this one and this one...and about 5 others.  I went overboard.) and she got to work.

Here's the canvas she was working with.  This picture is horrendous, so I feel the need to explain how I got to look so fugly.  My skin gets really red when I'm hot.  It was 100 degrees outside and I had been at an outdoor mall in a maxi dress for 3 hours.  I got a facial that morning and the esthetician managed to get product in my hair, so the one day I actually blow dried my hair I ended up having to pull it back into a ponytail.  Plus, I stupidly decided to try jeans on just before my trial, so I was a sweaty ass mess by the time I got to Sephora.  Oh, and I had a mojito at lunch (does anyone else get hot sometimes when they drink alcohol?  No, just me? Okay then.  Moving on.)




You ready to see the end product?  We took this picture of me in our backyard right after I got back home from my trial, so my makeup was still nice and fresh.  I took the picture outside because we're having an outside wedding and it's important the sunlight doesn't wash me out.



Not bad, eh?   I wanted a natural look that made my eyes the focus, and I think I got what I asked for.  I may tweak the eye makeup a little to make them a little more dramatic.  I actually had on really thick black eyeliner but you can't tell because I have deep set eyes and they're hooded.*  In person, I was concerned that the bronzer was too much, but I think it photographs really well.  I had the makeup artist write down everything she used on me so I can go back and buy what I decide I want for the final look.   I ended up buying the foundation she used on me (Makeup Forever HD Foundation in #117) but nothing else.  I like the lips, but may play with some more berry colors before I make my final decision.  


Unfortunately, I don't have any close ups of my face from later on in the evening.  I was too busy having fun at my birthday party!  But the makeup held up really well (except for the lipstick, of course).  All in all, I am very pleased with how it turned out and think I can achieve this look (or something close to it) on my own.  What do you think?

*hooded eyes are also called bedroom eyes, but I have yet to find a way to make my eyes look sexy.  Squinty, yes...I've got that one down.  Sexy...not so much.

3 comments:

jacin said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! looks gorgeous!!!

and "I feel the need to explain how I got to look so fugly" - made me start cracking up. um... did you see my face in the pic of me in my mom's gown? horrendous. so funny!!

i love it, you look amazing!

Kristin - Miss Glasses said...

Gorgeous! I think your eyes are beautiful and the intensity of the eyeshadow is perfect. All of it will definitely photograph well. Makeup Forever makes great foundation, it's a good investment!

Ghenet said...

It looks great!

Post a Comment